Friday, January 1, 2010




We arrived here in Hawaii for a couple of weeks at Lawai Beach Club, unit 211, about 8:30 pm. It was a good flight on Delta, 5 hrs and some change, straight from LAX to Lihue, leaving about 2 pm. I watched a Harry Potter movie, read some in my book, Say You’re One of Them, by Uwem Akpan, and snoozed. Relaxing-- save for a few rocky moments bouncing thru dense clouds on approach to Lihue.

Clattering through opaque space helped goose my prayer life: “my times are in your hands, Lord.” Here I was, airborne, being hurdled blindly along at several hundred miles an hour, while spinning on the earth’s axis at 1,000 mph, while traversing the sun on our annual earth lap at 67,000 mph, while circuiting the Milky Way on our spiral arm at 454,000 mph.

I take charge of my little movements, like walking on my two feet--and leave these larger ones in Your hands, my Father. Not just my physical movements but also those of my spirit, my marriage and children, and my small circles of influence inside and out of Christ’s body.

Lord Jesus, thank you, thank you, thank you. You have given Bethyl and I a privileged life. Cause us to empty ourselves of assumptiveness: that we deserve this largess, it is our just entitlement; we are such a fine fellows that God is rewarding our grandness of being. Cleanse me from every evil way and lead me in this disciplined life of emptying myself of pride, prejudice, and presumption. And for now, dear Lord, thank you--and good night.

1 comment:

Ken Kemp said...

Aloha! Trust your time in Hawaii brings rest, perspective and joy. It's a great way to welcome a New Year! Ken and Carolyn