Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rush Hour on Main Street, Yei, Sudan


Well, we're closing in on the end of a month in Africa. I'm preparing my heart to leave for home today. The beauty, warmth, and hunger of the continent weigh on my soul, stir it, and send sparkles around my skin when i stop to think and feel. which isn't too often as I thrash about trying to do some good. Since being in Africa I have done the Healing Trauma work and balanced that with orphanage work. On the other hand, my best laid plans to balance being and doing were mostly thwarted. Some quiet sitting, but not much. I, and you as well, perhaps would be advised and in-formed to listen to Parker Palmer in his book, A Hidden Wholeness:

The soul is like a wild animal—tough, resilient, resourceful, savvy, self-sufficient. It knows how to survive in hard places. But is is also shy. Just like a wild animal, it seeks safety in the dense underbrush. If we want to see a wild animal, we know that the last thing we should do is go crashing through the woods yelling for it to come out. But if we wil walk quietly into the woods, sit patiently by the base of the tree, and fade into our surroundings, the wild animal we seek might put in an appearance. …

Later, Ruth says, “…It’s tricky to get the soul to come out. We are not very safe for ourselves, because our internal experience involves continual critique and judgment, and the tender soul does not want to risk it. Unfortunately, a lot of our religious activity is very noisy as well; oftentimes we’re just an organized group of people crashing through the woods together, making so much noise that there’s not a soul in sight. (p 33).

My own quest to hear the voice of God directing me, might in fact boil down to not taking the time to listen carefully and quietly to my own soul’s desires. Lord, quiet me so my soul is in sight. Tender my spirit to your Voice so I can hear here. Thanks!

No comments: