Thursday, September 25, 2008

a special mission


I have to leave for Kibera in a few minutes. My task today is to tell the children a story. this is what I think I might say:

Once upon a time a baby was born to very poor parents in a dark slum. He was an unknown child of a King, his Father. He was on a special mission. He had planted inside himself a little voice from his Father that told him he was very loved, very important to his father, and on a special mission. He grew up poor, without a lot to eat sometimes. He did the right thing as he listened inside himself to a little voice that said, “this is the right thing to do. I love you. Your Father.” So he spoke the truth as he saw it in a loving way. First to this one and then to that one.

He told a lot of stories that his father had given to him to tell. He told stories about little people who loved each other even when it cost them a lot. He told stories about rich people in power to were greedy and selfish, who just wanted to make themselves feel and look very important. His life was very full and loving and he laughed a lot. Then one day the important men in charge of the slum, the rich men, decided they didn’t like his stories. He embarrassed them. They made secret plans. Bad plans. They wanted him to die. So one night when he was walking home they rushed out and attacked him. They killed him. They dumped his body below a lot of trash. His body got covered over by sewage and flies. Three days went by.

And then, on the morning of the 3rd day, he got up, alive again, out of the trash. He walked around the slum. He showed people the wounds where he was stabbed. He gave them food. He loved them.

And it wasn’t long before his Father called him back to his Home where he still is today. But his Father’s voice still is speaking if you listen very hard in the morning when you wake up, or at night right before you sleep, or in quiet moments during the day. He’s talking to you too. He’s telling you the same message, “I love you so much. You are very special. I’m especially fond of you. I will protect you and give you food in your spirit to eat that others do not see. Be faithful to me and I will be faithful to you.” The end.

I don’t know if I can remember what I just typed. We’ll see. I love you. I have to go. I’m on a special mission.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Vance,
Wow!what a wonderful story and the best part of all.... is that it's true.

Blessings to you and your son,
Christy