Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Working in Chinglish :)


6/25/08
here's vance considering his next chapter revisions....


I am having a great time working with my Chinese brothers and sisters here in Guangzhou. Two groups of five are working in different rooms on different floors in the hotel; I shuttle between the 48th floor and the 46th floor as they each read aloud different sections of the book, editing to fit the Chinese world. We are deleting politically inflammatory material, de-westernizing other sections, clarifying meanings, and harmonizing cultural clangs. They check with me before making any changes to make sure that this doesn’t change the essence or intent of the teaching tale.


I feel so honored to be working with these people who have so much that they can teach me of persevering in the face of persecution with holy passion. They are like Moses’ bush, afire, and not burning out because they are supplied with Holy Spirit fuel. This is a wonderful first day of editing work, after a day of touring in the city yesterday—wandering through a local bazaar and zoo, with an assigned guide from their group.


My Chinese mashed potato family is teaching me something of purity and uncomplicated sincerity. I think sometimes I as a westerner have lost touch with my heart and with it the very refuge where God’s presence resides. John Eldridge captures this well when he says: “We have learned from parents and peers, at school, at work, and even from our spiritual mentors that something else is wanted from us other than our heart... Very seldom are we ever invited to live out of our heart. If we are wanted, we are often wanted for what we can offer … If rich, we are honored for our wealth; if beautiful, for our looks; if intelligent, for our brains. So we learn to offer only those parts of us that are approved, living out a carefully crafted performance to gain acceptance… We divorce ourselves from our heart and begin to live a double life. “

I find these folks a stark contrast to this sometimes lost and divided heart I often see where I live. They know who they are and why they exist. They, better than me, keep the Main focus from getting blurred. And I am grateful to be their students even though they call me Teacher.

No comments: