Sunday, August 15, 2010

de-clutching

August 14th 2010


Love this thought from George McDonald in his book, Diary of an Old Soul: “In holy things may be unholy greed. Thou giv'st a glimpse of many a lovely thing, Not to be stored for use in any mind, But only for the present spiritual need. The holiest bread, if hoarded, soon will breed The mammon-moth, the having-pride, I find. 'Tis momently thy heart gives out heart-quickening.”

I want be free of this clutching, looking over my shoulder, saving up against a rainy day, rearing up on hind legs to keep treasure from the gnawing wolves. Let me gladly give my house, stuff, car, clothes if I get You in the bargain. “Leave all to follow me,” You said. Give me guts and gumption enough to do that.

1 comment:

Sharon and Paul Barnes said...

The senior pastor under whom I worked as a youth pastor in Colorado during the 1970's inspired me yesterday by sharing that on one of his 7 trips to serve the poor in Uganda through a missions agency he was staying in a very small, narrow cell at night. Cock roaches were everywhere after dark. One night he became sick to his stomach and was vomiting to the light of his flashlight. The thought crossed his mind, "Why am I here? I could be home with Barbara (his wife) in our nice home." Then, he said, the presence of Jesus was palpably present in the room and this thought entered his head, "In that you've done it to the least of these, you've done it to me." My pastor friend added, "My sickness immediately went away. When I awoke in the morning, the bowl of my vomit was right where I was wretching."

"I want to know Christ, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death; and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:10-11)

Paul Barnes